Raša – trg Gustavo Pulitzer Finali
Pulitzer has paid a special attention to the main square, which serves as the heart of the town. The square is dominated by an impressive church of St. Barbara with a specially designed roof construction made of reinforced concrete ribs set in such an order that they resemble a mine pitch hallway, as well as the squared bell tower resembles the mine lamp, which is also shown in the municipal coat of arms. The church interior is modern with simple, yet sophisticated details of the marble altar and stoups, spiritualized with side ceiling lightning, two high glass windows in the front façade and very interesting light effects in the side sacristy with a glass dome. A covered loggia, object often seen in many Istrian towns, is located right next to the church. Its vaults should have helped the airflow on the square during summer. The front façade of the church includes a stone relief depicting St. Barbara, made by a Trieste sculptor Ugo Carà. The square was once decorated with a supernatural statue of a miner warrior created by a famous Trieste sculptor Marcello Mascherini, but the statue was demolished soon after the end of World War II. Pulitzer followed the principles of nature and therefore placed a round stone fountain in the center of the square.
St. Matej – Prodol
The church of St. Matthew is located north from the Skitača village, in the groves of Prodol. It is situated next to the old village road heading from a hamlet village of Mihaljini to Skitača. Gothic one-nave rectangular building is covered with a cross-ribbed vault, the same being divided into two parts. Interior walls are decorated with frescos, which are severely damaged and the saints are hardly recognizable. Among the usual and popular saints, such as St. Michael, St. George and St. John the Baptist, there is one, wrapped as an infant. It is St. Lazarus from Bethany, a brother to Martha and Mary, who was restored to life four days after his death. As it now can be seen, the frescos are similar to the younger, Gothic fresco layer in St. Martin’s church in Sv. Lovreč Pazenatički. This church was built in the 14th/15th century. It once belonged to the Scampicchio family. The church, completely renovated in 2012, is now registered as a cultural heritage of the Republic of Croatia.
St. Lucija – Skitača
The church of St. Lucy was built in the early 17th century. The building got its present shape in 1924, when the construction of the bell tower begun, which remained unfinished until today. It is a one-nave Baroque church with an apse inside the church. The main marble altar is dedicated to St. Lucy, while the two wooden side altars are dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua and the Blessed Virgin Mary. There is a cemetery next to the church.
St. John – Brovinje
Five hundred meters facing south from the village of Brovinje, right next to Holcim cement factory quarry there are a church and an abbey dedicated to St. John. The 14th century church of St. John is a one-nave Romanesque church with a semicircular apse. It was built of long narrow semi-worked thin squares, arranged in proper and equally thick layers. The entrance and the bell cote on the façade are of Gothic origin. The interior is decorated with early 15th century frescos. There is a cemetery next to the church, which was partially explored at the beginning of 1990s. Near the church there are ruins of St. John’s abbey. An Early Bronze age hill fort hill and a medieval tower Turan, owned by the Battiala family, were once located on the near-by Gradac hill. Both were destroyed at the beginning of 1990s due to quarry expansion.
St. Lawrence- Sv. Lovreč Labinski
The church dedicated to St. Lawrence is located at the entrance to the village of Sv. Lovreč Labinski (Diminići). It is a one-nave 17th century Baroque church with a semicircular presbytery. Two inscriptions on the façade made in 1653 provide exact construction and renovation dates. The main altar, made of stone with incrustation, dates back to the 17th century, and according to a local legend it was brought here from Dubašnica on the isle of Krk. The altar is made of marble, and includes a tabernacle and the altarpiece depicting Blessed Virgin Mary with a Child; St. Lawrence and St. Francis of Assisi. Parts of the former 17th century wooden altar were used and put onto the confessional, while the two wooden statues are still held behind the main altar. There is a cemetery next to the church.
St. Augustine – Barbići
The village of Barbići is situated approximately 5.5 km from Labin.
The church of St. Augustine is located approximately 100 m northwest from the northern edge of the village. The church has got a rectangular plan with a quadrangular apse and a semicircular vault. The main entrance is made of massive stone monoliths with a flat horizontal lintel. There is a small narrow vertical window framed with stone beams on the front façade. A bell cote is placed on the top of the façade. A Roman inscription built in the back church wall suggests there is a archaeological site near the church.
Bobrine – Skitača
A group of four prehistoric barrows (Lat. tumuli) located on the synonymous hill, approximately 2.5 km northwest from Skitača. Four prehistoric stone barrows (known as gromače in Croatian) are set on the highest point. The higher barrow is approximately 3 m high with 20 m diameter, while the three smaller barrows are 1 m high with approximately 4 m diameter. These barrows date back to the Bronze Age (Prehistory).
The mine – Raša
During the 1930s the Raša mines were part of the company Azienda Carboni Italiani. The mines were recording a sharp rise in production due to the needs of fascist autarkic economy. The period between 1936-1942 marks an era of the largest company expansion with the mines in Raša considered as the most sophisticated in Europe, employing more than ten thousand workers and reaching the top production of 1.158,000 tons of coal in 1942. The entrance to the mine is located behind the former Prvomajska factory management building. Raša pit was opened in 1928 and closed in 1966. The facilities in Raša pit are totally preserved.
St. Sebastijan – Škrokoni
The village of Škrokoni is located 4 km south of Labin, on the road heading to Sv. Marina. A Romanesque church dedicated to St. Sebastian was built on the south edge of the village. The church is a part of a larger archaeological zone, with traces of settlement which date back to Antiquity and the medieval time. The church was built in the 12th/13th century using scrap stone arranged in equal layers. A constructive stone frame of the main entrance has got a typical Romanesque semicircular arch. The only window is set in the middle of the south wall. In the 18th century a Roman inscription was found in the church, with the name Labin being mentioned for the forst time- ‘res publica albonessium’. The inscription is now stored in the museum in Labin.
St. John – Polje
The village Polje is located on the road heading from Labin to Koromčano. The church is situated next to the south edge of the village (it is the last building towards Koromačno on the left side of the road). The church was built in 1608. There is a bell cote on the façade. It was renovated in 1903. Stone altar includes a painting showing St. John the Baptist.