The village of Skitača is situated approximately 15 km south of Labin. It was built on one of the highest peaks in Labin area and was once one of the largest settlements in this region. Numerous Bronze Age archaeological sites are located in the surroundings of Skitača, such as Cuf, Bobrine and Brdo hill forts and Trdačina cave. In the course of the 16th century Skitača was settled by the Vlachs (known as the Istrian Romanians) which is documented and described in a work by a Romanian historian and travel writer Ion Maiorescu, who visited Skitača in the mid-19th century. Since 1632 Skitača is one of the parish centers of Labin area. The people from Skitača were traditionally engaged in livestock and to a lesser extend agriculture and maritime affairs.
The center of the village is dominated by the church of St. Lucy and a former parish home and school building, nowadays turned into a mountaineering house. There is a cemetery next to the church.
The church of St. Lucy was built in the early 17th century. The building got its present shape in 1924, when the construction of the bell tower begun, which remained unfinished until today. It is a one-nave Baroque church with an apse inside the church. The main marble altar is dedicated to St. Lucy, while the two wooden side altars are dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua and the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In the last ten years the revitalization of Skitača begun thanks to ‘Skitaci’ mountaineering association and the renovated mountaineering house.
The hill Brdo is located approximately 30 min walk from Skitača center. Under the hill top on its north side there is a well, known as St. Lucy’s well, after the saint patroness of Skitača. The well itself is a natural hollow in the limestone filled with water which almost never dries out. There are two legends associated with St. Lucy. According to the first, St. Lucy wandered around the world until she reached a rock at the end of Skitača village. As she was tired, she sat on the rock and fell asleep. When she woke up the next morning she noticed a fresh well near-by where she washed her face. Since then there is always some water in the well, and the Catholics and those with eye-sight problems believe that the water from the well cures eye and sight diseases.
The other legend suggests that while St. Lucy was walking around the world one day she came on the top of hill Brdo at the end of Skitača village, and, when she saw the spectacular view over the Kvarner bay, she started crying out of grace. As her tears fell down on the ground, they formed a well.